- defect reports
- test case specifications
- test logs
The Test Manager should ensure consistency and quality of these work products through the following activities:
- Establishing and monitoring metrics for the quality of these work products (percentage of rejected defect reports, etc.)
- Working with the Test Analysts and Technical Test Analysts to:
- select and customize appropriate templates for the work products
- establish standards for these work products (degree of detail necessary in tests, logs, and reports)
- Reviewing testing work products using the appropriate techniques and by the appropriate participants and stakeholders
Software testing also involves the creation of test results reports, which are typically produced by the Test Manager and are described later in these software testing materials.
The extent, type, and specificity of test docs can be influenced by:
- the chosen software development life cycle
- applicable standards and regulations
- the product quality
- project risks associated with the particular system being developed
There are various sources of templates for testing work products such as IEEE 829 [IEEE829]:
- designed for use in any industry
- contain a high level of detail that may or may not be applicable to a particular organization
It is a best practice to tailor the IEEE 829 documents to create standard templates for use in a particular organization. The consistent application of the templates reduces training requirements and helps to unify processes across an organization.
Example – When and what to use:
Example – Test Design
Example – Test Case
Example – Test Item
Example – Test Log
Example – Test Incident Report
Example – Test Summary report
This article is based on the ISTQB Advanced Syllabus version 2012 and it also references the ISTQB Foundation Syllabus version 2018. It uses terminology definitions from the ISTQB Glossary version 3.2.
In late 2019 we have launched A Test Manager’s Guide eBook that stands as the base for this article. You can check out more useful test management lessons by enrolling for free to view Chapter 1 – Back to the basics.